Himalayan salt originates from Himalayan caves. It is manually removed from caves and is older than 250 million years. The Himalayan salt rocks are used for treatments and relaxing baths, but also for preparation of table salt. Once removed from the caves, this salt is dried in the sun in order to preserve its properties. The Himalayan salt has a very strong flavor so using it will reduce your daily salt intake.
People have discovered the health benefits of this salt very long time ago, for example Koreans used it as a trade good, and the Romans as a currency to pay the soldiers. Unlike conventional salt, which increases the blood pressure, Himalayan salt does not raise potassium and sodium concentrations which lead to this health condition. It provides various health benefits such as balance electrolyte concentration, support muscle function and also improve blood flow in the limbs.
Himalayan salt is rich in many important vitamins and minerals that are present in our bodies, such as sodium, magnesium iron and calcium.
These are some of the most important health benefits of consuming Himalayan salt:
- Normalizes the digestive processes and metabolism
- Improves blood flow and heart health
- Purifies and detoxifies the blood
- Regulates blood sugar level thus preventing diabetes
- Regulates electrolyte and water levels in the body
- It can be used for inhalation in the treatments of asthma, sore throat, sinus problems, bronchitis
- Treats issues respiratory tract issues, especially with the sinuses
- Prevents muscle cramps
- Promotes brain cell regeneration and improves concentration and sleep quality
- Strengthens the bones, especially in children
- Balances cell pH levels
- Supports liver and kidney function
- Prevents dehydration and is easily absorbed
- Enhances mood, provides energy and promotes positive thinking
- Prevents aging
- It has no negative effects on the body organs, such as stomach or kidneys.
Adding this salt while cooking will make your meal taste even more delicious. Also, keeping a Himalayan salt lamp near your TV or computer has the ability to reduce harmful radiation.
Relaxing yourself in a warm Himalayan salt bath will provide your body the energy it needs and the skin will also absorb the minerals.
Himalayan salt baths are also used in treatment of:
- Gynecological problems,
- During post-operative recovery,
- Rheumatism and joint diseases,
- Insect bites, blisters, wounds,
- Various skin diseases,
- Skin irritations.
The amount of salt you should use to prepare this kind of bath depends of your body weight.
- Children under 60 lbs: ½ cup
- Individuals between 60-100 lbs: 1 cup
- Individuals between 100-150 lbs: 1½ cups
- Individuals between 150-200 lbs: 2 cups
- For every 50lbs more – add an additional ½ cup of salts.
To enjoy the benefits of Himalayan salt baths make sure you don’t add anything else in the bath tub, stay in the water for 30 minutes, pat dry your body and relax for another 40 minutes.
This remedy is very cheap and can be found online, in healthy stores or herbal pharmacies. There is also Himalayan salt soap available on the market which helps reduce cellulite, herpes, and dry skin and also works as a deodorant.
Using this soap could cause a tingling sensation since it works as a detoxifier, but the tingling will go away in a couple of minutes. Don’t put any creams or oils after using the soap.
You can also prepare your own Himalayan salt scrub which can treat rashes, acne and various skin issues. To prepare the scrub, put 100 grams of salt in 3 liters of water and exfoliate your skin.
You can use it as a facial scrub by rubbing it on your skin after dissolving it in some essential oil. For smooth and silky skin, do this at least 1-2 times a week, or every day if you want to treat a certain skin condition.
If you suffer from sinus congestion you can prepare a Himalayan salt solution by mixing one small teaspoon of this salt in ½ liters of water. When the salt crystals start depositing at the bottom, you can use this mixture. Put it in a clean spray bottle and spray in your nostrils.
Himalayan salt can also be used for other health conditions, this way:
- For an ear infection, use the same saline solution.
- To treat nausea due to traveling, soak a cloth in this salt and place it around the neck.
- To treat a sore throat, gargle with saline solution, but you should not swallow it.
- To treat foot fungus, soak the feet in a saline solution.
We should also mention that Himalayan salt lamps help treat asthma, depression, seasonal allergies, and chronic fatigue and also provide much healthier light than the common lamps. Then heated, the crystals from this salt cleanse the air and promote your health by emitting negative ions. The price of these lamps is around 20 dollars and the best thing is they can last forever.