Our homes are usually the places we feel safest in, however they are not as harmless as we thought. Many products that we use every day are actually very dangerous such as shampoos, hair dyes, rubber, perfumes and plastic. These products contain harmful ingredients including methylene chloride, nitrobenzene and formaldehyde.
Using the 7 items we listed below could lead to various health issues so you should avoid them as much as possible in order to improve your home as well as health.
Even though it is known that conventional shampoos contain large amounts of toxic ingredients, there are no studies yet that prove they are cancer-causing. Still, using a homemade shampoo is a much safer alternative.
Most of the candles available on the market, particularly the scented, contain lead wires inside them. When the candle is burning the fragrance oils soften the wax faster so manufacturers use the lead wires to keep the wicks firm.
One candle with such wires releases 5 times more lead than allowed according to the pollution standards for outdoor air by the Environmental Protection Agency.
Some of the health issues that can be caused by exposure to large amounts of lead are learning disabilities, hormone disruption and behavioral issues.
Instead of exposing yourself to this harmful metal, use candles with cotton wicks.
A study conducted by the Natural Resources Defense Council has discovered that the majority of air fresheners contain numerous chemicals and toxins which can affect the reproductive development and worsen asthma.
Another study conducted at the University of Washington concluded that the chemicals that get released from the air fresheners are very toxic and can even cause cancer.
A much safer alternative for making your home smell fresher is using essential oils.
Insecticides and pesticides
Pet products are usually considered safe for both pets and humans, however the products for flea, tick and lice control actually contain very harmful chemicals such as permethrin, organophosphate insecticides, and carbamates which are potentially carcinogenic.
The plastic shower curtains release volatile organic chemicals into the air which are very harmful and toxic.
Some art supplies have been proven to cause various health issues such as allergies, organ damage and cancer due to the chemicals they cause. These products include permanent markers, solvents, acrylic paint and epoxy and rubber cement glues.
The toxins from these supplies are especially dangerous for children because their immune systems are more immature and their metabolism is higher.
To protect yourself and your loved ones from the dangerous chemicals, use toxic-free alternatives or make your own art supplies.
The ingredients in conventional antiperspirants and deodorants are also carcinogenic. Since these products stay on our body for many hours, the skin absorbs the chemicals which lead to various health conditions. To avoid the harmful side-effects you can use a home-made natural antiperspirant which you can make yourself.