A heart attack is a serious medical emergency in which the blood supply to the heart becomes blocked causing the heart muscle to starve of oxygen rich blood. This condition is usually caused by a blood clot and it can create serious damage to the heart. Heart attack is a life-threatening condition that must be taken very seriously and it requires medical assistance.
Don’t wait – call the emergency number
Signs of a heart attack
Heart attach symptoms can be different for each person. Even though there are many the following are the most common:
- Chest pain, tightness or burning sensation in the chest
- Pain in the arms, neck, back, stomach or jaw
- Nausea and vomiting
- Shortness of breath
In case you or someone else feels these symptoms at the same time there are only 10 seconds to act in order to save your or another person’s life. Calling an ambulance is a priority and then you should do this simple method that can help you survive. This method is called cough CPR.
Why you should try Cough CPR?
During a heart attack the heart shuts down. However, the heart will continue functioning if you start coughing. This way you will buy more time until help arrives. Coughing puts pressure on the heart, it sends oxygen to the lungs and also stimulates the blood flow. This method can save a life so it is very important to remember it. The most important thing is to act immediately and to try to stay calm. Just follow these steps:
- Call an ambulance
- Start coughing strong and deep
- Cough for 2 seconds without stopping while extending the exhale.
How to prevent a heart attack:
This life-threatening condition can be prevented if you follow these health tips:
- Lose some weight if you are overweight
- Exercise regularly at least 3 hours per week
- Quit smoking
- Consume more fresh fruits and vegetables, and foods that are low in fat but rich in fiber