Epsom salt is a mineral compound that has been used since ancient times. It can be used for detoxifying the body, for cleaning and in the garden. One of the most important uses and benefits of Epsom salt is the use for detoxifying the body. This salt is cheap and affordable and contains magnesium and sulfate – naturally occurring minerals that are responsible for the therapeutic and detoxifying properties of Epsom salt.
How does Epsom salt bath detoxify the body?
The minerals we already mentioned, magnesium and sulfate, can be absorbed through the skin and can even enter the blood stream.
The pores on our skin make the absorption of minerals and removal of toxins very easy. Relaxing in an Epsom salt bath can help you get rid of all the dangerous toxins in your body with the help of the magnesium and sulfates.
Magnesium is an essential mineral for many bodily function and organs including enzymes, muscles and nerves. It also reduces inflammation and improves the blood and oxygen flow in the whole body. Sulfates help maintain the healthy skin and nerve tissue as well as joints.
Since Epsom salt is rich in both these minerals it can give the body the amounts of magnesium and sulfates it needs in order to become able to remove the dangerous toxins and build essential proteins for the brain tissue and joints.
Taking Epsom salt baths regularly can also help with athlete’s foot, toenail fungus, bruises, gout, sprains and muscle soreness. It can help reduce the inflammation in case of chronic pain or chronic disease and can reduce the symptoms of any chronic condition.
How to prepare an Epsom salt bath:
Fill your tub with warm water but make sure the water is filtrated from heavy metals, chlorine, dioxins and fluoride. Here are the recommended amounts of Epsom salt according to body weight:
- Less than 60 pounds – ½ cup
- Between 60 and 100 pounds – 1 cup
- Between 100 and 150 pounds – 1 ½ cup
- 150-200 pounds – 2 cups
- Add an additional ½ cup for every 50 pounds of body weight
The body needs 20 minutes to remove the toxins and another 20 minutes to absorb the minerals from the water so you should soak for 40 minutes in the Epsom salt bath.
- Olive oil has beneficial antioxidant properties for the skin so you can add ½ cup of it to the bath.
- Cayenne pepper and ginger can make your body sweat and remove toxins faster. Add 1 tablespoon to ½ cup of ginger or cayenne pepper to your bath.
- Soap has negative effects on the detox process and the mineral absorption so make sure you don’t add any in the bath.
- Rest for about 1-2 hours after the bath unless you suffer from arthritis, then you should be active to prevent joint congestion.