Thyme is a herb that is commonly used as a spice to enrich the flavor of various dishes. However, besides making your food tastier, thyme also has various health benefits which is why it is often included in mouthwashes and antiseptic wipes. Thyme essential oil has been proven to treat and relieve pain very efficiently. It also works better than ibuprofen when it comes to alleviating menstrual pain.
One study at Babol University of Medical Sciences in Iran has proven that thyme oil is very efficient in treatment of cramping during the menstrual cycle which causes the pain as well as other symptoms such as headaches, backache, dizziness and nausea.
Other excellent uses of thyme essential oil for different health issues:
Rheumatism is a health condition that is caused by impeded blood flow, increased concentration of uric acid in the blood or by arthritis. Thyme removes the toxins through the urine because of its diuretic properties and it also stimulates blood flow thus treats the abovementioned symptoms.
Thyme speeds up the healing time of wounds and also prevents infections due to its strong antiseptic properties which come from the compounds it contains called Camphene and Caryophyllene.
Thyme is very beneficial for people who have low blood pressure causing them to feel sluggish because it normalizes their blood pressure by slightly raising it.
Thyme oil protects the health of the heart, digestive and nervous system, the skin, muscles and also strengthens the immune system and promotes proper blood flow.
Other benefits of using thyme essential oil:
- Thymol, a compound in thyme essential oil, increases the amount of healthy fats in the cell membranes
- It increases the DHA levels in the kidneys, brain and the heart cell membranes
- Thymol also promotes the healing of wounds and other skin lesions by improving the blood flow to the skin
- It kills nail fungus and parasites
- Its diuretic properties make it an excellent treatment for urinary tract and bladder infections
- Treat pain caused by sprains, injuries, arthritis, gout and sciatica by applying a hot compress with thyme essential oil
- Stimulate menstruation for weak or missed periods by adding this oil in a sitz bath or massage
- It treats vaginitis and Candida
- Treat alopecia by massaging your scalp with a mixture of rosemary, lavender, cedar wood, jojoba, grape-seed and thyme essential oil every day for several months.
- It can treat Athlete’s foot when applied on the affected area. However, apply fatty cream before the oil to protect the skin.
- Thyme has strong antiseptic properties which is why it is a common ingredient in natural hand sanitizers
- Treat acne and warts by using it as a hair tonic or face wash
- Apply diluted essential oil or fresh herb to treat insect stings and bites
- Prepare an antibacterial wash for your fresh fruits and vegetables with 1% solution of this oil
- Thyme keeps insects away
- Since it can irritate the skin you should always use it in combination with other essential oils such as grapefruit, rosemary, pine, lemon, bergamot and lavender.